Saturday, January 28, 2006

A Heads Up for Next Week

We'll be covering France this coming week.

It's hard spending only a week on each country, and we don't get around to nearly everything we could (and don't get around to writing about half of what we DO study), although there are advantages. 1. It's useful to keep some things on a stricter schedule when we let a lot of things go at our own pace. 2. It's really sparking the children's interest in these different places.

The Map Guy, especially, is looking forward to studying Africa when we're done with Europe. He's always been drawn to the lesser-known (to us) places it seems.

1 comment:

Dr. Thursday said...

Africa is indeed a fasincation to me as well. Among many other strange marvels, it has two of the most gigantic rivers on earth - the Nile and and the Congo - which are not just big, but geographically "strange" - perhaps I ought to say "remarkable". And then there's the Zambezi, and the Niger, and the Sahara, and elephants, and giraffes (hee hee) and many other things...

Why do I say this about those two rivers? Well, I recall that in one of his books, Father Jaki points out that the Nile played a critical role in astronomy. Perhaps when you get there I will post about that.

And the Congo is the only major river to drain both the northern and southern hemispheres, and has other unusual traits as well. It has a very great fascination for me as it provides a major plot item in a story I am working on.

I must say, I follow your "journey to discover the Earth" with great glee, for one always learns more from students. Don't you recall the famous line from Rogers and Hammerstein's "The King and I" ?

"Tis a very ancient saying
But a true and honest thought
If you become a teacher
By your students you'll be taught..."

Indeed.