Monday, January 23, 2006

Online Resource

Here is a similar resource online to Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.

You select a country (such as Philippines) from the drop-down menu and it gives you a little map, and lots of no-nonsense info on the country (including that "On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence." in this case).

The info is organized into sections:

  • Geography
  • People
  • Government
  • Economy
  • Communications
  • Transportation
  • Military
  • Transnational Issues (for example, it includes interesting information about the much desired Spratly Islands: "The Philippines claims sovereignty over certain of the Spratly Islands, known locally as the Kalayaan (Freedom) Islands, also claimed by China, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam.")

This is a brief source covering LOTS of up-to-date information. It is friendly to use and you can get the information anywhere there is a computer. However it is not nearly as friendly or portable as the book mentioned below. (Just something nice about holding a book I guess).

4 comments:

Dr. Thursday said...

I could not tell from here - does that site provide world toographical maps also? (I am presently interested in Africa.)

If you know of one, I would be very happy to hear about it.

love2learnmom said...

I didn't see any topographical maps on this site. We are in the decision-making process regarding the purchase of a high-quality atlas just for this sort of thing. In the meantime, we bought a rather reasonably priced DK World Atlas that covers a lot of territory - no pun intended :) - (it was good enough for the Map Guy to look into the Ethiopian Highlands that he wanted to learn more about). I'm searching around to find an online source and will post something here when I find one.

whisker said...

Do you have any resources to either gsa or landstat maps of Iraq? these would be extremely helpful for my research.
http://icasualties.org/oif/

love2learnmom said...

Hmmm. I don't know. We're not quite that sophisticated around here. I will let you know if I come across anything.