Monday, January 30, 2006

Reading List for the British Isles update one

I know we are into France not but my mind really blanked last night and I need to make a hopefully more accurate list. Despite the fact that my mom added several extra by way of comments, There are more to add.

From Scotland:

Little House in the Highlands by Melissa Wiley
The Far Side of the Loch by Melissa Wiley
Down to the Bonny Glenn by Melissa Wiey
Beyond the Heather Hills by Melissa Wiley
The above series is about the great-great-grandmother of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

From England:
King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Roger Lancelyn Green.
I have begun this one and will hopefully finish it soon but I must admit I prefer King Alfred to King Arthur. King Arthur is more well known but I think King Alfred deserves as much fame as the fomer.
Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green
This is a wonderful retelling of the famous story of Robin Hood.

Authors:
I crave your pardon for missing Shakespeare, that is a major offence. One of the greatest authors of all time, I can't believe I forgot him.
William Shakespeare wrote a large collection of plays which by the way are really fun to read outloud with your friends.

I will probably have to update this post several times but that is all I can think of.

5 comments:

Dr. Thursday said...

How about Arthur Conan Doyle?

See what GKC had to say about him:

"there have never been better detective stories than the old series of Sherlock Holmes; and though the name of that magnificent magician has been spread over the whole world, and is perhaps the one great popular legend made in the modern world, I do not think that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has ever been thanked enough for them. As one of many millions, I offer my own mite of homage." [GKC, Generally Speaking 6-7]

And two others:

"Jeff" Chaucer, who wrote an amazing "ABC" poem about the Blessed Virgin,

and

Charles Dickens, who wrote many books, but most dear to me, and most powerful, is his A Christmas Carol...

Indeed! Thanks be to England! How can we not honor the land from which we receive the very words we use?

Ria said...

Thanks for those great suggestions, I had totally forgotten Charles Dickens, oops, but I had never heard of the other two. Well of course I have more than heard of Sherlock Holmes but I guess Chesterton was right because I for one had never heard of the author.
Jeff Chaucer sounds interesting, do you know where could I find that poem you mentioned?

rhapsody said...

The sisters Emily, Charlotte, and Anne Bronte, from the nineteenth century...

& during the 20th century, Taylor Caldwell wrote many wonderful books, among them 'Dear and Glorious Physician,' about Saint Luke.

Dr. Thursday said...

Chaucer's ABC kind of long, and may need some introduction. I will see what I can do. It may already be available "out here" - in the e-cosmos, I mean. If we don't find a useful site, I will post it or otherwise make arrangements...

love2learnmom said...

And Lewis Carroll :)